Monday, February 21, 2005

Demons, demons everywhere but nary a drop to drink

My cousin has Schizophrenia. He has been in and out of hospital these last few years, and when he is off his medication he can be violent, particularly towards his mother. His parents are fundamentalist christians. They don't beleive in Schizophrenia, they believe in demons, so he's not sick, nooooooo he's full of demons. Obviously they don't believe what the doctors tell them, so medication is not so important - he needs prayer they reckon.

Bloody hell, he may need prayer but give the boy his fricken meds as well.

Mental illness is such anguish for all involved without adding the warped metaphysical spectre of demons to the story. Are you really sure that you want a person who hears voices believing that he is chock full of evil nasties? That is the shortest route to self harm I have ever heard.

5 Comments:

Blogger backyardmissionary said...

well bugger me!

fancy meeting you on here. A man goes away to meet with the micks comes home and discovers his neighbour has started a blog.

As far as the mental illness / med / demons thing goes, I agree prayer and medication go well together.

In my experience people can be mentally ill and not affected by spirits or they can be affected by spirits, or... both.

I'll tell you a story about that whole scene one day...

Monday, February 21, 2005 11:38:00 pm  
Blogger Brad said...

I've seen this extreme approach to mental illness before and it can be devastating. Prayer can not ever be underestimated and is always valuable - but denying the physical element of your cousin's illness in favour of the demonisation is not doing your cousin any favours at all I'm afraid.

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 3:53:00 pm  
Blogger "Grendel" said...

Thanks for the comments - I've tried journaling before but the fact that your thoughts remain closed within the pages is a limiting factor and there is nothing like a bit of critique to shake up your world view.

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 9:11:00 pm  
Blogger backyardmissionary said...

yes - I am a crappy journaller too - but find blogging a challenge and fun

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 9:46:00 pm  
Blogger Garth said...

Have to say that demon approach would get me a bit hot under the collar. I once went to a church that was hell bent ...period. Thankfully I am a bit older and wiser now...well older anyway. Sure demons exist and I have had a fleeting brush with with a sufferer many years ago but medication if you please!

Saw that mindset and the occasional stageshow 'deliverance'. Its never done in the privacy of a back room, no its a show for all to see and be in awe of.

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 6:13:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home