Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Hooray for Horror

I've been reading Stephen King this month. Specifically his memoir titled "On Writing". Now I have read a bit of his work, I tend to lean away from the horror - except "The Stand" but the Dark Tower series, the Green Mile, the Shawshank Redemption and Hearts in Atlantis are among some of his works that really indicate the depth that some writers have. It is odd too think though that any person can imagine some events, and particularly those that are capable of scaring the pants off a crowded theatre when translated to the big screen.

We all have nightmares, sometimes we get to experience things we'd rather forget. My terrors of the mind usually resolve themselves in imaginings of things that could possibly happen to my family, particularly when I hear of tragedies experienced by others. Not that I choose to live my life in fear, in fact I would rather imagine these dark thoughts, negotiate my way through the scenario in my mind and get on with life than to remain blissfully unaware that it is a dangerous would.

I refuse to believe in the limited option scenario, I believe there is always a 3rd, 4th (or 5th if necessary) solution. I think one of these scenarios might possibly be located somewhere in the realm of "acceptance" but that is a better option than meeting fate arse end up.

I have seen some terrible things but I have seen nothing I'd rather forget. I'd rather some things hadn't happened, but I am determined to learn the lessons life is offering, and make a difference when and where I can. The work I do is not exciting in the "action" sense, and a "day of drama" in my workplace is usually the result of a coffee shortage, but the work I do does have value, and can impact a lot on peoples lives - it is not just busy-ness.

I think I've swept the spectrum with this post - I guess where I am going is this: Seizing the day is but a small step in the bigger job of seizing the life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home